Women’s therapy requires a great number of people, so we cannot do it alone. Volunteers with a variety of skills and interests are a critical part of our program. We listed key volunteer areas below. You’ll notice that some of the options include direct interaction with our residents.
Because of the sensitive nature of the issues our residents deal with, we take great care when choosing volunteers to work with them. To ensure a safe place for our residents, each volunteer who will work directly with residents must complete a full volunteer application and criminal background check.
- Bulk Mailing & Office Work: Help seal and label mailings 4-6 times a year, or help with office projects as needed.
- Give a Ride: Take a resident to an appointment and bring her back to A Friend’s House. Most appointments are in Bluffton and Decatur.
- Lunch Preparation: Help a resident prepare lunch using the set menu so staff have an opportunity to meet with other residents.
- Professional Services: whether it’s legal counsel, medical advice, tutoring or plumbing we are grateful for professionals who help AFH and our residents.
- Share Skills, Hobbies & Knowledge: show the residents how to make a craft, teach them how to change a tire or share about a specific culture you’re experienced with. We strive for our residents to be well-rounded when they complete our program and your skills and interests are an important part of that.
- Special Events: help with luncheons, banquets and the Cookie Walk through setting up, preparing food, and serving guests.